Navigation Menu
Muzeul Județean de Istorie și Arheologie / History and Archaeology County Museum

Muzeul Județean de Istorie și Arheologie / History and Archaeology County Museum

  • Author: Iubesc Ploiestii
  • Date Posted: Apr 22, 2014
  • Category:
  • Address: Toma Caragiu 10

Singura creație ploieșteană a lui Alexandru Orăscu, unul dintre primii arhitecți români, a fost ridicată în 1864, în stil neoclasic, ca local al Gimnaziului – mai târziu Liceul de Băieți „Petru și Pavel”. În sălile sale se țineau cursuri la care a participat tânărul elev Ion Luca Caragiale, dar și adunările politice și alegerile de la sfârșitul secolului al XIX-lea. În decursul timpului, clădirea a fost de mai multe ori restaurată, având, pe rând, rolul de școală normală, inspectorat, școală sportivă și cantină. Din 1970, găzduiește Muzeul Județean de Istorie și Arheologie Prahova, colecția sa permanenta cuprinzând exponate din domeniile arheologiei, istoriei moderne și contemporane, numismatică și medalistică. La exterior, intrarea muzeului este încadrată de statuile Sfinților Petru și Pavel, patroni spirituali ai gimnaziului care a funcționat aici, acestea fiind restaurate, după decapitarea lor, la scurt timp de la instaurarea regimului comunist.

The only work of Alexandru Orăscu in Ploiești, one of the first Romanian architects, was erected in 1864, in neoclassical style, as host of a Secondary School – later the “Peter and Paul” Boys High School. Courses were hosted by its rooms, where the young scholar Ion Luca Caragiale also took part, but also political gatherings and elections from the end of the 19th century. Over the course of time, the building was restored several times, hosting in turn a normal school, school inspectorate, sportive school and canteen. Starting from 1970, it is hosting the Prahova History and Archaeology County Museum, its permanent collection covering exhibits from the domains of archaeology, modern and contemporary history, numismatics and medallic subjects. On the outside, the entrance to the museum is framed by the statues of Saints Peter and Paul, the spiritual guardians of the secondary school that was once functioning here, restored after the communist regime, freshly installed, had decapitated them.

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *