Navigation Menu
Biserica Sfântul Gheorghe Vechi / Old Saint George Church

Biserica Sfântul Gheorghe Vechi / Old Saint George Church

  • Author: Iubesc Ploiestii
  • Date Posted: Jun 14, 2014
  • Category:
  • Address: Independenţei 4

A fost clădită în perioada 1831 – 1832, pe locul unei biserici mai vechi, de la începutul secolului al XIX-lea. Fără a fi confirmată, există o legendă care leagă locul de existența unei vechi biserici unde se rugau soldaţii domnitorului Mihai Viteazul. Biserica şi-a păstrat aspectul inițial, în ciuda numeroaselor restaurări efectuate după stricăciunile provocate de cutremure şi de bombardamentele din 1944. Mai veche decât biserica este turnul clopotniței, construit în formă octogonală, rar întâlnită în arhitectura românescă.

This church was built in the period 1831 – 1832 on the former site of a 19th century church. With no evidence, there is a legend that connects the place with an old church where Michael the Brave’ soldiers were praying. The church preserved its initial appearance despite the numerous restorations done after earthquakes and the 1944 bombardments. The bell tower built in octagonal shape, rarely used in the Romanian architecture, is even older than the church is.

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *